Are you an advocate for social justice? Are you interested in how the media can be used to deepen democracy, accountability, and transparency?
My Vote Counts (MVC) is calling for proposals for a Johannesburg based Rapporteur for a 2-day Symposium on 18-19 March, that will unpack the Political Party Funding Act (PPFA). The Symposium comes as we anticipate the Independent Electoral Commission’s publication of the third set of political party funding disclosures, and as we are beginning to understand the impact this new but ground-breaking piece of legislation will have on transparency and our democracy.
It will host 30 senior and junior journalists and editors, academics, analysts, members of civil society and law makers who will explore the following questions:
- What does the PPFA mean for our democracy?
- What does the PPFA mean for the future of our politics?
- How should journalists analyse the data?
- How do journalists investigate disclosures and possible deviations from the Act?
- How do we guard against attempts to undermine or repeal the Act?
Scope of work
- To capture the proceedings of the 2-day Symposium, in line with the outlined objectives of the forum.
- To prepare summaries of each session of the Symposium at the end of each day.
- To collect all presentations made during the forum.
- To compile a full and concise report, in consultation with MVC’s Party Funding Researcher, within 7 days of the conclusion of the Symposium (27 March 2022).
My Vote Counts will cover accommodation and meals during the Symposium.
- Have a degree in journalism, communications, social science or related field.
- Previous and demonstrated experience as rapporteur for forums and conferences will be advantageous.
- Good knowledge and understanding of South Africa’s democracy and politics.
- Excellent writing and editing skills to prepare written materials in a clear, concise and compelling manner.
- A commitment to social justice.
To apply, send a proposal that includes the following documents to email@example.com:
- Your CV, highlighting your experience as indicated above,
- At least one example of written work you have done previously,
- A short, proposed work plan/time frame, and
- A quote for the work
Please submit your proposal by 23 February 2022.
MVC is a donor funded organisation, and we have limited budget of R10,000 for this project.